Friday 24 February 2012

What I've Been Watching: A real mix.

We've just signed up for Love Film and are currently in the trial where we can watch unlimited online and have 1 disc at home. Since this is the first post, I'll do a mini review on the few we've watched online so far and the one disc we've had at home.

Last House on The Left - Uncut (1972) - *****Two teenage girls head to a concert for a birthday celebration that is brutally interrupted when they are kidnapped, raped, and murdered by three sadistic escaped convicts. However, the killers stumble in the home of one of the girls, and the parents take the opportunity to gain violent revenge for their daughter's deaths.

I'd been really looking forward to this. I'd wanted to watch it now for a really long time and was so stoked when I found out that LoveFilm had it!
Now that I've watched it, I'm incredibly disappointed. I know it's an old film and I know the budget was tiny but I still feel that so much more could have been done. It was slow. It was boring. I never even almost jumped once. Being a Craven film, I definitely expected a hell of a lot more but it's not a film I plan on watching again any time soon, if at all. But it is one of those that I'm glad to say I have seen.

Captivity - 2007 - *****
Elisha Cuthbert (THE GIRL NEXT DOOR) is Jennifer, a celebrated runway model who leads a relatively lonely life. One night, after being stood up at a club, she's drugged and wakes up much later in an intricately constructed dungeon. The captor is a mysterious presence who has clearly done this before. As time goes on, the taunting and torture reach nearly unbearable proportions. But before she gives up all hope, Jennifer discovers Gary (Daniel Gillies), another victim, who is determined to break them both out of their horrific prison.

This is a film I've seen before and it was a long time ago so, as my lovely hadn't seen it, we decided to put it on. I enjoyed it just as much the second time round as I did the first. The plot is great, the characters are great and it's really well acted. It's just the right amount of creepy to keep you feeling a little bit anxious and the twist at the end? Worked amazingly. Definitely a film I could watch again and again.

Frozen - 2010 - *****
Frozen stars Shawn Ashmore (the X-Men trilogy), Kevin Zegers (Dawn Of The Dead) and Emma Bell (Death In Love; New York City Serenade) as a trio of twenty-somethings – best friends Joe Lynch (Ashmore) and Dan Walker (Zegers), plus Dan’s girlfriend Parker O’Neil (Bell) – hoping to spend some quality time skiing and snowboarding in the picturesque resort of Mount Holliston. But a typical day on the slopes turns into a chilling nightmare when they find themselves unexpectedly stranded on a chairlift shortly after the ski resort closes for the week. Unknowingly left dangling high above the ground and with no apparent safe way down as night begins to set in, with increasing panic they soon realize that the threats of frostbite and hypothermia are the least of their worries.

Forced to take extremely desperate measures in order to survive the bitter cold, overcome unexpected obstacles and attempt to reach safety, the three friends are driven to ask not only if they have the will to survive but also to consider what are the worst ways to die.

I LOVE THIS FILM. From the synopsis, it sounds pretty boring. I mean, how exciting can a movie be when the three sole characters are trapped above the ground in a single chair lift? But it is. It's suspenseful. It gets you to the point where you're trying to guess what happens next and you're on the edge of the seat, hoping they're all going to make it out alive (unlike me completely; I love a good gorey everyone dies film!). With a very dramatic event relatively quickly in the beginning, it really grabs you right from the start and keeps you hooked until the credits roll. My one complaint? I want MORE. It's been nearly 2 weeks and I keep finding myself wanting to watch it again.

Crazy Eights - 2006 - *****
Six friends are brought together at the funeral of a childhood friend. A search through their deceased friend's house reveals a map to a time capsule they buried some 20 years earlier which spurs the friends to find it and dig it up. After uncovering the trunk, the unexpected is found - the rotted remains of a child.

The closer they come to remembering the circumstances of the mysterious child's death, the closer they come to their own reckoning. The memory that will eventually kill them one by one is the same memory they need to discover to stay alive...

Again, this film was great! It's a little slow moving and somewhat confusing right at the very beginning but it's all cleared up really quickly and everything soon becomes apparent. It's creepy as hell and the set/location is fantastic! The acting is great and the characters are really, really well played. Did I say it was creepy as hell? It's creepy as hell! Again, a film I'd watch over and over. My one complaint is the ending but I don't want to say too much! Just that I wish it had carried on that little bit longer as I was still left with questions and scratching my head a little bit.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...